Thursday, April 18, 2013

stupid leg

So.  Quite a week, huh.

The city of Boston holds a special place in my heart.  My family is all from eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and Cape Cod, the Red Sox, and New England clam chowder form a very large part of my heritage.  To see these places sullied pokes at my tender spots.  But I also know how very stubborn and wicked strong this clan is, so I have no worries that the people of Beantown will come back in a big, big way.

Tonight was Olympia's memorial run - Run On.  It was very cool to see a couple hundred runners gather at Marathon Park for a loop around the lake.  It was also very good to see the returning Boston runners, home safe and sound, as well as everyone who'd previously earned their Boston race shirt show up in them.  We've got a pretty awesome running community in this little town.

But...<grumble> I'm super-NOT happy about my leg.  Last Saturday, four miles into a nine mile run, my left calf cramped.  I rubbed it out, worked through the range of motion, but kept going. (Really, what else was there to do? We were at the farthest point of a loop course, it was flippin' cold and POURING.  Run on, friend.)  I thought it odd that the cramp hadn't released, but since I hadn't actually ever experienced a cramped muscle when running, I just figured it was what would happen.

Yeah.  So much for that.  I spent the rest of Saturday hobbling around, then spent all of Sunday in my pajamas and compression socks, leg propped on the bed, sorting through piles of clutter because I could not move. At all.  Maybe not a cramp?  I'm calling it a pulled muscle and resting it.  I'm sure it didn't help that I used heat the first two days instead of ice, or that I haven't used any ibuprofen at all this go-round.  Really, I don't know what to do.  Other than try not to panic about lost fitness.

</grumble>

I will say, though, we accomplished a never-before-attempted feat on Sunday.  At 3:37 pm, for exactly 57 seconds, we had four humans and three cats on the bed.  Amazing.  And then it was over, and cats and claws went flying and skittering and racing out of the room.  Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment