Wednesday, August 22, 2012

of mileage and misery (and new shoes!)

Wow.  I think I figured out what might be going on…

I suppose bumping my average from 10-miles-per-week to 17-miles-per-week will take a toll, huh… {facepalm}
The scratchy throat, sneezy nose, and general headache/bodyache could either be my fighting something, my fighting fatigue/insomnia, and/or the goofy weather swings (yeah, highs of 95-on-Friday to 68-on-Saturday will do crazy things to a body).  So all that’s being paid due attention, along with plenty of fluids and vitamins.  I might even go crazy and just wear jeans the rest of the week. J

New plan:

·         This week – lower the volume, maybe 11-12 miles.  Did three today, plus my three on Monday.  Not sure if I will run again before Saturday (we’ll play that by ear) and then Saturday’s run will be five miles – more only if I’m really feeling good.
·         Next week – 18-20 miles, with the ten-miler long run over Labor Day weekend.
·         Week following – start taper – maybe 15 miles-ish, long run at 7-8 miles
·         Week after that – RACE WEEK!!!  So a couple three-milers earlier in the week, then get ready to go!

(Wow.  It’s really that soon.  I need to get my energy back so I can get excited!)
Today was slated to be a five-miler, but after a nutty day of back-to-back-to-back meetings and the aforementioned sneezy-scratchiness, it took every ounce of energy to go change into running clothes.  I stopped at the lake on the way home and eked out two laps (and again, it took everything I had to start that second lap).  So, 3.00 miles, 30:21.  Nothing overly special.  (and yes, I cannot believe that I’m referring to 10:07 miles as “nothing overly special”.  Wow, my running expectations have changed in the last year!)

And in other fun news – new shoes! 



My pretty purple Asics Gel-Landreth 7 arrived today!  Bummer that I found them as I got home from my run (on the neighbor’s porch, no less – really, UPS?) but I’m sooooo excited about the shoes.  (Don’t worry, I know better than to think I’m going to wear them for this race.)  Back in about 2006 I began beating a pair of Gel-Landreths into the ground – I still have them, with Speed Laces, and they’ve got about a gazillion miles on them (they are now my gardening shoes, recently retired from being my under-the-desk walk-around-the-block shoes at work).  My absolute favorite ever pair of running shoes, and the new version feels lovely and cushy-soft on my feet.  I’m packing them in my run bag for the rest of this week! (along with a broken-in pair, just in case.)

So, that’s my (running) life right now.  How’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment