Friday, September 14, 2012

Training recap – September 10-14

As Rafiki would say, “IT IS TIME!” 

The race is Sunday.  Oh. My. Heavens.

And yet at the same time – I’m so ready.  Tomorrow my girl and I go up to get our packets and have a girl day!  And then Sunday my family will be at the finish line when I cross, so my girl can run her 1K.

The plan was:  to run a couple or three times, keep it short at 2-4 miles per time, and just see what happens. 

The reality: 

Monday – 3.0 miles, 29:48
So where the heck did this come from?  Suddenly I’m super-nervous for the race Sunday.  Like, butterflies and weak knees nervous.  Is this really going to stick around all week?  Oh, golly.  So, when confronted by irrational anxiety, what better to do than get out an easy run?  Not sure this helped – my breathing was off, my effort felt rather too high for the pace, but it did feel good to stretch my legs.  Aaaand…. Another Monday run done.

I sat on the porch with my hubby that night and told him I was suddenly all nervous.  He said, without so much as a thought, “Oh, honey, you’ve got this.  Stop it.”  I love that man.

Tuesday – 3.1 miles, 29:27
Better than Monday. “Hardly an impressive distinction, AJ.” (thank you, Aaron Sorkin.)

Back to school means back to swim, and now with my boy it means back to extra evening swim practices.  This meant my run was at 6pm, not my usual lunch hour or early morning.  My evening runs haven’t been as reliable as earlier in the day – I’m often not as good about “fueling” as I should be and I pay for it at the end of the day.  But this run was okay – I kept a good pace, just like Monday, but the effort felt easier.  I realized too far along in the route that I could have easily bested my 5K time from June - which is a nice reminder that this summer's work has prepared me for the race.  Just what I needed. (Only) slightly less nervous...

Thursday – 3.21 miles, 30:20
Back to swim practice we go.  Today I managed to get through the entire day on a latte, scone, one ounce of cheese and four celery sticks.  I did that math as my stomach growled LOUDLY on the drive to the pool.  Oops! So I sat in the car, listening to news coverage of the Benghazi embassy attack (so very sad, and such a complicated mess) while I scarfed the yogurt from my briefcase. 

Oh, and did I mention it was 80 degrees at 6pm?  Yeah.  I briefly considered the treadmill, then realized I would never want to trade away a lovely evening.  The heat was already losing its punch; I started out with a wonky sattelite reading on my Garmin, which meant it was registering a 6:55 pace (NOT) at a half mile in.  Oh yeah, RIGHT.  I didn’t get a good sense of my pace and was moving too fast, but I didn’t catch it until almost 1.5 miles in.  Between that fast start and the complete food failure for the day I ended up walking at mile 2.5 (!!!). But after walking just a short stretch, I was on pace, in stride, and feeling good.  Too bad I was only a quarter mile from the finish when it all kicked in. J

With that comedy of errors out of the way, I know I can recover and get back on track.  Yet again, confidence bolstered.  I feel pretty ready for Sunday. Bring it on!

Planned for this week:

Sunday – RACE. Then – nothing.  No plans beyond a rest week.  If things feel good, I might get out.  But it’s time for a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment