Saturday, July 14, 2012

Plans? Whatever...


So… the plan for today was to take the gentlemen up to Husky Stadium to the start line for the Seattle-to-Portland Classic, grab a coffee, come back south with Schmoo, grab her bike, and go hit a nice easy paved trail so she could ride beside me while I got in my five-mile long run…

Yeah, talk about hubris.  Or underestimating the schedule.  Or both.  Yeesh.

Last night’s packing and anxiety and trying to force an early bedtime didn’t work too well.  And then we had thunderstorms roll through and linger until 1:00 am.  [Sidebar: so you know, that happens maybe every couple/three years around here – not AT ALL like, oh, the rest of the world.  I LOVED it.  My kids, notsomuch.]  Let’s just say the 3:30 am alarm came quite early.  And then – oh, yeah, this was the icing on the cake – the coffeemaker broke!  My sweet little four-cup drip, full of twenty ounces of water and a basketful of fresh-ground beans, stopped at one and a half cups.  Inexplicably.  [Okay, it’s fifteen or so years old, but still.]

By the time the girl and I returned about 8:00 am, I was completely discombobulated. I knew that run was NOT going to be happening today.  And at first, I was pretty unhappy about that.  I’m anxious enough with the amount of training I’m likely to miss in the next few weeks that missing today’s run seemed like a major addition to the risk log for this September half-marathon I’m doing.

But then… I began to see the opportunity.  See, this STP weekend means that Schmoo and I get to hang around home today, but tomorrow we hang out in Portland all day.  I was trying to figure out how we’d fill the day tomorrow, and really, there’s a lot to do with a chatty eight-year-old.  But… it’s easy enough to flip the days, right?  Have our mommy/daughter day today, and some of it tomorrow too, but include a run in tomorrow’s plans.

So, instead of the run, today included some of this:



And this:


And a bit of this:



Tomorrow, we’ll get in the run.  Or something close to it.  I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment