Sunday, July 22, 2012

Training recap – July 16-22

Crazy-busy week, and the running (as expected) was mostly set aside.  However, managed to stay generally on plan.  And I still got in my three runs this week – which is the only firm goal/commitment I’m making right now. Yay me!

The plan was:  Early week – 2 miles; Midweek – 5 miles; Weekend – 6 miles.

The reality:

Monday – 3.00 miles, ~32 minutes
Started out on a 4.5 mile loop.  First two miles felt great! Third one began the long decline.... walked back the last 1.5 miles. Must have been a bit more fatigued than I thought. Also forgot my Garmin at home, so no clue how my pacing was (a perennial problem for me), or how far I actually managed to get before I called it quits.

Fought my shoes the whole time too.  These shoes feel great for about two miles, then it feels like there’s no arch support.  A later consultation with the running store revealed that they’re just not the right shape for my foot; they’re forcing me to pronate and as my legs get tired, I lose my ability to stabilize against them.  So – they are now the backup/treadmill/cycling shoes.  All good.

Thursday –3.00 miles, 27:40
Felt like I should have tackled the five miles, but I didn’t have it in me mentally (work is crazy, people).  But rather than chucking the whole thing, I did get out for this shorter run.  So glad I did!  Keeping a 9:12 pace is crazy-fast for me, so that was a big mental boost.

Sunday – 5.3 miles, 55:11
The entire run felt like a warmup.  Legs were sluggish, and I couldn’t get a good deep breath the whole time.  Pace was all over the place:  mile splits of 10:33, 10:05, 10:31, 10:00, 11:14…  I miss my running buddies, these longer runs alone are not fun.

Planned for this week:
I’m not making any plans for the next two weeks.  This is my break; I’m going to take it as it comes.  However, my training plan would ask for 14 miles next week and 15 miles the week after.  I’ll have those parameters in mind and see how my total mileage stacks up against that.

No comments:

Post a Comment