Sunday, July 15, 2012

Training recap – July 9-15

So this week started out well, and got front-loaded with miles… which was good, considering how the week ended.  Planned for 11 miles, did nine, and ended up not running at all this weekend.

The plan was:  Monday – 2 miles; Wednesday – 4 miles; Saturday – 5 miles .

The reality:

Monday – 2.00 miles, 21:29

The saving grace of this little run was that I followed through on getting up at 5:30 am, to be out the door at 6:00 am, and ran on a far-less-than-favored route.  I don’t like running on this busy road, but sometimes you do what you’ve got to do, right?

Wednesday – 4.45 miles, 46:01

Best run of the week by far.  Not only did I hold a 10:20 pace for a good long time (for me, anyway), I tackled the worry that I couldn’t do this longer lake loop on my lunch hour.  And it was warm, which is something that unnerves me, but still did just fine.  The mental boundaries are getting pushed, people…

Thursday – 2.12 miles, 25:30

I got back to my desk after a meeting to a voicemail from Soozan , asking if I could get out for a run at lunch.  I think my response was something to the effect of “Can I meet you in five minutes?”  She’d done a hard workout on Wednesday too, so we just kept a nice easy conversational pace.  Such an excellent brain break – and a great way to bank a couple miles for the week.

Saturday and Sunday - zilch

You can see what happened here and here. 

The weekend’s intended schedule got a bit upended, but that extra run on Thursday made up the balance for the overall goal:  consistently running three days per week.  And like I said, all the little mental blinders and boundaries and things that hem me in are being questioned and challenged to see what substance they actually hold.

Planned for this week:
If I were going to assign days to run, I’d actually look at my work calendar.  But it’s 8:30 on a Sunday night, and that just doesn’t seem like something I want to do right now.  I might end up switching the short early-week run with the mid-week run to balance out the lack of running since last Thursday.

Early week – 2 miles

Midweek – 5 miles

Weekend – 6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment